Twelve points for a Wednesday plus a reminder

(1) I am responsible for my attitudes, thinking, and conduct.

(2) I am not responsible for how others respond.

(3) I make amends where possible …

(4) … but recognise that the responsibility for undoing the harm within the other person is God’s, not mine.

(5) I go to God asking for improvement …

(6) … but do not expect myself to do what is God’s job …

(7) … or vice versa.

(8) I do not beat myself up for having a full range of human failings, as that would imply I’m not supposed to have them.

(9) I do not expect others not to have a full range of human failings, for the same reason.

(10) I do not see the presence of human failings in others as a problem that I caused.

(11) I do not see the presence of human failings in others as a problem that is mine to solve.

(12) Imperfection is perfectly in accordance with the design.

‘When an occasion of practising some virtue was offered, he addressed himself to God saying, "Lord, I cannot do this unless Thou enable me". Then he received strength more than sufficient. When he had failed in his duty, he only confessed his fault saying to God, "I shall never do otherwise, if You leave me to myself. It is You who must hinder my failing and mend what is amiss." Then, after this, he gave himself no further uneasiness about it.’